jueves, 23 de agosto de 2007

Learning Teaching


Starting a lesson
Do you get your class's attention before getting started? How?
In general I strongly believe that getting our class' attention is crucial, otherwise how can we guarantee their attention along the lesson? If we don't try to catch our students' attention since the very first moment in which we enter the classroom, how will they find it interesting?Therefore, if they don't feel involved with lesson, they won't find it interesting, and so if they don't find it interesting, most probably they won't pay attention to it what do you think?


Rapport with your audience
Who do you look at while teaching? What do you
look like? (tense? smiling?)

I think that eye contact is what enables students to feel part of the class. Sometimes we, teachers, forget about it, and keep on looking only at those students who usually participate in class and forget about the rest!!(terrible mistake) When we don't make eye contact with our students is like ignoring them, so imagine how our poor students may feel when we don't look at them!
I usually show an I'm interested in listening to you - face (or at least I try to do so!), sometimes I also look smiling, but I prefer to show that I'm eager to pay attention to what they want to say, since I believe that it is nice to feel that someone wants to listen to you.

1 comentario:

Gladys Baya dijo...

Starting a lesson
How did you plan to get your class's attention as you started your presentation 2 weeks ago, Natalia? How successful were you? And why is this an aspect you've identified as something you'd like to improve in your teaching practice, I wonder?

Rapport with your audience
I certainly agree with you on the idea that it's essential for effective communication to show our learners we're actually listening to them, but how about helping learners feel their partners are also listening? Do you have any strategies for fostering this attitude among your learners?

Looking forward to hearing more from you,
Gladys